I think the one thing I'd recommend to anyone wanting to take a trip like this is - don't plan anything. The daily (even hourly) changes would drive some people nuts. I get the impression that one of our fellow passengers is getting a little frustrated by our current position. It's almost 11pm on Saturday night and we're still anchored out in the harbour. For us this gave us an excuse to sleep in. I spent some time in the shade on the upper deck listening to a book in the afternoon. Tonight after dinner my mother and I sat with the Captain and the new Chief Engineer as well as the one that will be leaving tomorrow. Our call for the pilot is now 5am, so it gave us a chance to have a little wine and conversation with dinner. Singapore will still be there tomorrow. We will set the alarm tomorrow and hopefully be tied up at the wharf. If we're not, we'll see what happens. The nicest thing is that our cabin is just beside the captain's and if things change and he's passing by he'll let us know. Our change from a 9pm sail to a 5am sail came just after dinner while we were sitting around talking. I'm not sure that our other two passengers know about the change yet.
You just can't take any dates/times at face value. As long as you can live with this it's a great way to travel. I know sometimes the crew will ask us if we have any plans for a certain port. As a rule our answer is no. If you haven't made specific plans then you can't be disappointed if you don't get to do something. The only thing that is on the list for Singapore is that my mother would like to have a Singapore Sling in the bar at the Raffles hotel (and I do think that time will permit). So hopefully tomorrow we'll be off to investigate Singapore.
Note - when I was updating these files I didn't notice that some of the 't and 'l converted to a chinese character. Once I noticed I fixed them. If I have time I'll go back to fix the rest (but perhaps not from Singapore)

No comments:
Post a Comment