Saturday, May 19, 2007

Day 142 - San Pedro Lock


Well, we’re through the Panama Canal, and I don’t think we could have arranged better transit times. The pilot came aboard just after 2am but he then found out our slot in the lock was 4:20am. We moved slowly into position and transited the Miraflores double lock in the dark. In the dark isn’t quite accurate as everything is well lit. We then continued on to the single San Pedro lock as the sun was rising. It wasn’t quite fully light out as we started to sail to Gatun Lake. I will admit that just about 9am I decided to take a little nap, so I missed them dropping anchor. The afternoon transit started with the pilot coming aboard just before 4pm, with the transit through the Gatun Locks being completed just about sunset. This schedule was far from the 1:40am and 10:40pm one that the captain got, and we were all glad. Even the crew who weren’t on duty were up on the decks watching the transit.

No comments: