Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Day 16 - Jackson Square


Yesterday we wandered about the French Quarter in New Orleans and had a lovely dinner before heading back to the ship. Getting into the port was easy, however, getting into the wharf was an adventure. Having the cell phone with me made it seem like I was doing something. In the end, although the port agent was working on it, the woman at the gate took pity on us and let us in.

Today we went back into the French Quarter for more sightseeing and a jazz brunch at the Court of the Two Sisters (a restaurant we’ve been to during previous visits to New Orleans. The picture today is from Jackson Square – one of the places we were today. Tonight we’ve come back to the ship for dinner as our shore leave call was for 7pm (although I think since they’re still loading it may be longer). We’re glad we took time to visit the city both days as the residents are welcoming (from the first few stevedores that welcomed us and directed us to the gate) and the parts of the city we visited are still lovely. It is sad though to see stores, bars and restaurants far less busy than we remember.

At the last minute I checked wireless access today and found that I actually have it here from the ship. If we’re in port for a while after dinner tonight I plan to log on, update today’s information, check mail, and perhaps check the weather forecast in Camden, NJ – our next port of call.

No comments: