Okay - so this morning we discovered you can actually see the stern of the ship from the bus stop. I'm not sure I should admit this. Anyway, we had a good laugh about it and took off for the day. This time we headed for Bruges, a very medieval town with cobblestone streets, canals and lots of chocolate shops. Well, lots of shops in general. The captain's wife, Iva, is leaving the ship here to go home so it gave us a good excuse to buy chocolates. She's very nice and it has been fun having her aboard. Iva is a bit shy about her English; however, it's much better than she thinks. I told her the other day that her English is considerably better than my Croatian. That's something we were discussing on the train today - that my mother and I both wish we were better with other languages. I found out that I could still read French fairly well (I downloaded the Belgian train brochure in French while in Hamburg and could understand it). I discovered that I just don't have a clue in German or Flemish. We are so lucky as tourists that we've run into many a local who is fluent in, or reasonably good in, English.
We're likely off to Brussels tomorrow. Hopefully the weather is as good as it was today. I'm keeping the pictures and the blog information up to date so I can pop into an Internet cafe on Monday. There are four of them between the bus station and the train station. And to think I was worried about finding places!

No comments:
Post a Comment