Friday, February 09, 2007

Day 45 - Lighthouse at Aviles


Well, we came into Avilés tonight just at 6pm. We were told just after dinner that we didn’t need to clear customs or carry our passports. It’s a small town, small port, and everybody knew who we were. Since it was still daylight we went upstairs and grabbed our coats and just went for a quick walk. It’s unclear how long we’re going to be here but we found a little train station and took at the morning schedule. We walked back to the ship and met the captain who was talking with the local agent. The agent said if we could wait a few minutes he would drive us into town. You would think by now that we would know better.

Anyway, we did go into town and walked around a little. I found an Internet café although the system wouldn’t recognize my USB card and I couldn’t drop to DOS to mess with it as I have before. I’ll break down and burn a CD tonight and try it again tomorrow. It will serve as a backup for the pictures I’ve taken as well. I brought some blanks just for that purpose.

So now we come to our usual ‘how to get back to the ship’. According to the main train station there is no station out where we are. Now we were at it (didn’t write down the name), and saw train tracks. We think we saw the right bus to take, however, it was after 9pm and that was the last bus. So we thought a taxi would be a good idea. The first taxi suddenly lost his command of English when he heard where we wanted to go. The second driver was more blunt, telling us he didn’t go there. Finally with the help of a local resident we did get a fourth taxi to take us (the first driver the local fellow spoke to said no as well). It’s not that long a drive (7 Euros total), but I guess it’s not a popular place.

And yes, tomorrow we will go back – by train or bus so we know where we’re coming back to.

No comments: